Director of Theatre, Associate Professor at Newman University
2011 - Present
Assistant Professor of Theatre, Tenure Track at St. Andrews University
- Tenured 2015
- Created new Theatre Major by 2013. Established curriculum, advised students, hired adjunct professors, direct a major production each semester
- Taught classes in Acting, both beginning and advanced using body, voice, &
internal and external methods for stage and screen
- Taught Introduction to Theatre as a gateway to the art form – interactive and
- Taught beginning, intermediate, and advanced directing courses
- Taught Theatre History, both in classroom and online
- Taught Dramatic Literature as a flipped class
- Taught Playwriting â€“ student awarded 2nd in the nation for Undergraduate playwrights
- Taught Voice & Diction
- Taught Oral communication
- Team taught courses in general education, Inferno, Stories in Performance and Theology and Entertainment (online)
2007 - 2011
The Ezra Pound Center for Literature at Brunnenburg Museum & Study Center
- Taught classes in Acting, both beginning and advanced, using body, voice, & internal and external methods for stage and screen
- Public Speaking – Covered elements of prepared and impromptu speeches.
- Topics in Theatre – Focused on basics of collaboration and production
- Early Modern Drama – An in depth study using history, literature, and hands-on activities to probe the London Theatre scene in Shakespeare?s time
- Introduction to Theatre & Film – Team taught course on both disciplines using lecture style and hands-on activities.
- Introduction to Theatre – a gateway course into to the art of theatre, encompassing elements of Acting, Directing, Playwriting, Theatre History, Dramatic Literature and Tech Theatre.
- Directing – Taught directing course that led students through steps in production and culminated with a student directed one-act festival
- Playwriting – Taught the basics of play construction and creation
- Tech Theatre – Taught the basics of design for sets and lights
- Humanities – Taught course in world civilizations and literature, using ancient Greek and Mesopotamian texts, the Bible, and works by Dante, & Shakespeare
- Development and Teaching Team Leader for Interdisciplinary Humanities Course that interweaves history, religion, philosophy, literature, and the arts
- London, Shakespeare & Beyond – a trip to London, Oxford, Stratford and Scotland with students focusing on Shakespeare, history, literature, & archaeology
- Screenwriting – taught techniques for writing scripts for motion pictures.
- On-line version of Human Culture & Thought – a study of ancient cultures and literature in an 8 week on-line course
Tirolo, Italy - fall 2010
Instructor at James Madison University
- Lead a group of American students for a semester abroad. Took them on field trips to Verona, Venice, Florence, Munich, and Rome.
- Taught a course in International Dramatic Literature where we studied the plays of Shakespeare, Moliere, Schiller, Pirandello, and Havel. The course culminated in a staged reading at Schloss Tirol, a castle in the Alps.
Assistant Professor at Blue Ridge Community College
- Introduction to Theatre – Taught 40 students in a gateway theatre course that included hands on production and study of dramatic literature
Spring & Summer 2007
Faculty at Stuart Hall Prep School
- Introduction to Speech/Communication – Taught students basic communications skills and public speaking
Instructor/Internship Supervisor at Mary Baldwin College
- Taught a dramatic literature course to middle school students that focused on Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet.
Guest Instructor at James Madison University
- Taught Children’s Theatre for MFA candidates, mentored, and oversaw graduate student interns in acting, writing, set design, stage management, lighting, scene painting, props & costume construction.
Guest Lecturer at Mary Baldwin College
- Introduction to Theatre – Critiqued student projects and instructed students in acting, directing, and playwriting.
Director at The Enrichment Academy for the JCC of Greater Orlando
- Shakespeare – Taught students King Lear in an interactive environment.
2001 - 2003
- Selected and supervised instructors and support staff, established budgets, developed curriculum, scheduled classes, generated publicity, and coordinated use of facility.
- Developed children’s and teen theatre program
- Implemented and produced Teen Film Festival
- Taught Acting for K-12 and adults
- Instituted Community Service/Internship program
- Designed several Enrichment classes, including: Acting, Dance, video production, sculpture, cartooning, and voice